Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pizza!



Should I start with my groveling apologies or my ode to pizza?
 Well, lets get the apologies out of the way. 
I am so sorry that Real Food Wednesday as been sporadic at best, non-existent at worst. I have a seasonal job. (Yes, I have the best job in the world. And not only because my boss reads my blog.) But now is the busiest time of the year. 
Seriously, I make busy bees look lazy. 
Anyways, there's my lame excuse for not posting as 
consistently as a food blogger should.
 ( How often is that you ask? I do not know.) 

And now...on to 

PIZZA!!

Hands down, a universally favorite food. If it happens to not be your favorite food, run along now. I've been eating a lot of pizza lately, and I couldn't be happier. Since Big D has started his year long journey through night school, I have been making a lot of single portion suppers. ( Little Monkeys like to eat noodles and fish sticks every night, and that goes against the very grain of SparkPeople.)
Pizza as it so happens, works out very well with this arrangement. 
About once a month, I make one recipe of  pizza dough, and divide it into five.
 I freeze each ball of dough in a ziploc bag, and defrost as needed.
Voila- instant pizza!
 Here is my favorite dough recipe. It has amazing elasticity- even after its frozen. It does need to rise for an hour, but I find that by the time I eat supper, when the Little Monkeys are put away for the night, it has risen more than enough. 

Pizza Dough
1 tsp yeast
3 cups flour
2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp sugar

Pour water and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add yeast and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Knead dough with the dough hook for about 10 minutes. Cover dough with a damp towel and let rise 1 hour. When you are ready to make the pizzas, divide dough into 5. Let rest for five minutes to make it easier to roll out dough. Roll the dough into a 8 inch circle. Spread pizza or marinara sauce on top. Top with pizza cheese and toppings. Bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes. 





4 comments:

  1. yummmmmm u gotta stop making me so hungry at work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE homemade pizza and yours looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! canned mushrooms u used or sauteed fresh??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used sliced freshed- not sauted, but any kind will do, canned is great too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...