Monday, January 23, 2012

Our Little Secret

There is a certain class of people that I love to hate. And I'm really sorry if you belong to that group, but 'tis the truth. This group of people have the world conned. 
And its really pretty simple to describe them:
They are super skinny, yet they can (and do!) eat whatever they want.
Now if you belong to this group of people, just head over to the next blog: 
Because you aint welcome here.
Nah, I'm just kidding. You guys are probably the only people who read this blog-everyone else in this world is on a diet! Anyways, the reason why they are the scam artists of the century is because, these types of people look like they are on a 1200 calorie a day diet, when in reality, their basic daily intake consists of barbecue chips and chocolate bars. Granted, these people are not that common. 
But those select few, man, I love to hate 'em. 
I think muffins are kinda similar to those people. They are like "Eat me, I'm so healthy, I'm a muffin!" When in reality, they are full of sugar and margarine! So here's where this comes in handy though: Muffins, by definition, sound healthy, Agreed? Soooo when your kid has this super annoying school rule, that they can only bring in healthy snacks-voila! Enter: The Muffin! Seriously, it really works! I don't want to jinx it or anything, but somehow, by some stroke of a miracle, muffins slip under the radar. Now, don't get me wrong, I advocate healthy eating as much as the next mom- but when I am searching for my socks in the refrigerator, while my baby monkey is dancing around the kitchen with underwear on his head, and nothing else (whoops, did I just say that?!) and Z-Monkey and Little D are battling with swords made out of clics, and there is about 3 minutes until they have to be out the door: I do NOT advocate healthy snacks. I advocate grab and go and get out the door snacks.
Um, yeah, so now that the big secret about our morning insanity is out...here is a "healthy" *wink wink* snack for ya:
Honey Cornbread Muffins                                      Adapted from SweetPeasKitchen
 1/2 cup margarine (softened)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla sugar, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup milk (rice/soy)
1 can whole kernel sweet corn,drained

Preheat oven to 400. Line 12 muffin tins. Using an electric mixer, beat together the margarine, sugar and vanilla sugar until light and fluffy. Add the honey, eggs and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together the salt, flour and cornmeal. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture by hand. Gently stir in the milk and corn. Pour into lined muffin tins. Bake for 20-22 minutes. 

* For (relatively) easier mornings, I make a double recipe of muffins, and stick them in an airtight container in the freezer. That way the kids can grab a muffin and it defrosts by the time they have snack time. 

3 comments:

  1. I know, even when you reduce the butter and sugar in muffin recipes (which I do), they've still got butter and sugar. And yet, muffins make such a great breakfast. In my book, at least.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...